A CARELESS APPROACH TO WINDOW INSTALLATION WAS ONE OF THE LEADING CAUSES OF THE LEAKY CONDO CRISIS THAT IS STILL AFFECTING BUILDINGS IN GREATER VANCOUVER TODAY. MANY WINDOW REPLACEMENT COMPANIES HAVE CONTINUED WITH SHODDY INSTALLATION METHODS BECAUSE ITS QUICK AND EASY MONEY AND CONSUMER’S ARE NOT AWARE OF THE CONSEQUENCES
The “retrofit” method uses a window with a “rebate flange” or “renovation flange”. In this method, the old metal frame is left in the building. The rebate window slides over top of the old frame, and a single bead of caulking is used to seal to the outside siding. See the following video for example.
Problems with Retrofit method:
- Path for water: Retrofit method creates open pathway for water to get in behind envelope and into your home
- Reliance on single seal: Relies only on single caulking seal for protection that is exposed to the elements. Caulking breaks down after prolonged exposure and must be reapplied every 2-3 years and is not covered under any warranty.
- Energy Efficiency: Leaves current cold metal frame in your wall which acts as a thermal bridge, and reducing insulating performance by 25%
- Hidden Issues: Old metal frames have increased chance of forming condensation or “sweating” and will cause rot , mold around rough opening without you knowing.
- Protection of Opening: Doesn’t allow for proper positive lapping and flashing detail at head or proper sill pan with self-adhered membrane (“blueskin”)
- Glass Size: Shrinks window by 2-3 inches all around which reduces viewable area
PHOTO GALLERY: Retrofit method
“FULL REPLACEMENT” METHOD
This method uses a “nailing fin” window - and follows the same principles that are used when building a brand new home. This video shows the details being used for a proper installation. Notice the difference in time. It takes a lot longer to do things right!
Benefits of full Replacement Method:
1. Positive lapping: Shingling the building paper and flashings over the nailing fin directs water away from opening.
2. Multiple planes of protection: Provides multiple planes of protection as per Building Envelope best practices. Does not rely on a single seal of caulking.
3. Energy Efficiency: Leaves no metal in your wall – letting you enjoy the full energy efficiency of your new windows.
4. Protection of Opening: Allows for Blueskin detail around perimeter which protects from any moisture
5. Glass Size: Keeps window the same size as original window for maximum viewing area.
PHOTO GALLERY: Full Replacement method